Get the inside scoop on what's cooking at
Taste of the Trib
What Is Fondant? Learn what fondant is and how it is used in cake decorating. It is usually made with sugar, water and corn syrup.
Browse from over 714 recipe videos! All Recipe Videos »
Browse all text recipes! All Text Recipes »
Andy Varela’s ancho Chile marinated chicken is perfect for the spicy food lovers in your house. This marinade comes from a range of chilies, while being tamed by onion, salt, and lemon juice. The marinade isn’t too overwhelming because the chicken is marinated and not coated in a pepper crust.
Ancho chilies are dried versions of pablano peppers. Their heat is milder and has almost a sweet flavor. Other ways to use the ancho chili are to grind It into a powder as spice, or soaked in water and used whole.
Chicken is one of the most widely accepted and diverse dinner choices. Options are nearly limitless, as the mild flavor takes on everything it is mixed with. This chicken recipe is a simple way of adding another marinade and chicken dish to your culinary inventory.
3 ancho chilies
½ sweet onion
1 jalapeno pepper
3 chicken breasts
3-5 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons blackening seasoning
1. Begin by grilling the chilies and onion on a grill or stovetop until they get a small char.
2. Slice the chicken breasts into thin strips. The thinner the better, as it will lessen cook time.
3. Remove the stems from the chilies and cut the chilies in half. Give the onion a rough cop as well. Place the chilies and onions in a food processor and pulse the ingredients until they break down. Add olive oil and the juice of a whole lemon to the food processor as well.
4. Blend these ingredients together until they are well incorporated.
5. Place the chicken in a medium bowl, and pour over the marinade. Allow this to sit overnight, or at least one hour.
6. Prepare the crust for your chicken by mixing flour, salt and blackening seasoning.
7. Heat olive oil or canola oil in a pan. Place the chicken in the heated pan, and sauté/fry in the pan until golden brown.
8. Enjoy with your favorite side dish.
Originally from Southern CA, chef and farmer Andy Varela owns and runs Maitland Mountain Farm with his fiancée Holly Maitland and their newborn son Jett. Renowned in his adopted home of Salem,