Get the inside scoop on what's cooking at
Taste of the Trib
What Is Fondant? Learn what fondant is and how it is used in cake decorating. It is usually made with sugar, water and corn syrup.
Browse from over 714 recipe videos! All Recipe Videos »
Browse all text recipes! All Text Recipes »
Turtle candies are a classic favorite for children and adults alike. The combination of caramel, chocolate and nuts makes for a delicious treat that, of course, resembles a turtle. The chocolate shell and nut legs get an added twist when dessert chef Rosanne LeBlanc sprinkles shredded coconut on top. Sprinkled on, coconuts add vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fiber, so adding coconut to a plethora of different foods, including baked goods, drinks and savory recipes, is gaining popularity. While coconut is a nutritious and sweet addition to any meal, coconut is most at home when paired with rich chocolate.
In this recipe, Rosanne makes an easy summer dessert out of the most basic ingredients: chocolate, caramel, nuts and coconut. Layer the chocolate, nuts and caramel for a classic turtle dessert, and then sprinkle on coconut flakes for a more tropical, exotic flare.
2 tablespoons chocolate
2 tablespoons caramel
¼ cup mixed nuts
1 teaspoons shredded coconut
1. Melt chocolate in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time or until soft. Pour melted chocolate into small circles on parchment paper.
2. Drop mixed nuts into chocolate. Allow chocolate to spread.
3. Pour on more melted chocolate and add more mixed nuts.
4. Let cool.
5. Roll caramel into a ball and stretch out. Make sure the caramel is thinner around the edges.
6. Press the caramel on top of nuts and chocolate.
7. Drizzle more melted chocolate on top.
8. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
Loved cooking and baking since I was a young girl. Both parents worked, so after school I would cook and bake and experiment with all kinds of food. Biscotti became my passion when I realized I cou