Get the inside scoop on what's cooking at
Taste of the Trib
The Grog Burger O'Neill is not willing to tell Collins the ingredients in the special seasoning for The Grog Burger - but we got it out of him later.
Browse from over 714 recipe videos! All Recipe Videos »
Browse all text recipes! All Text Recipes »
“Although simple, white beans can compliment any dish,” farmer and chef, Andy Varela tells us. White beans are not generally the first bean that comes to mind when thinking about legumes. These white beans favor poultry dishes more than its popular counterparts, Lima and baked beans. The whole side dish needs to soak overnight and cook for an hour and a half before service, however those are the only steps. This is truly a simple recipe to get a handle of. It is easy to make a variation to this dish simply by substituting. These beans have a mild flavor, so experiment a little, and see where your taste buds take you.
1 Can White Beans
2 cups Chicken Stock
2-3 Bay Leaves
1 tsp flat leaf parsley
1. Soak the beans over night. This will help cut down actual cook time.
2. In a medium to large skillet over medium heat, add the white beans and water, and bring to a simmer.
3. Add the chicken stock as well, and continue to simmer.
4. To the skillet, add a whole bay leaf, as well as the parsley. Allow the combination to simmer for 90 minutes.
5. To check the readiness, taste the beans. Check on them and stir every 15 minutes.
Originally from Southern CA, chef and farmer Andy Varela owns and runs Maitland Mountain Farm with his fiancée Holly Maitland and their newborn son Jett. Renowned in his adopted home of Salem,